Saturday, December 31, 2016

Favorite Reads of 2016

Looking over the list of books I read in 2016, I decided to pick out 5 most memorable ones. If you do not have a lot of time for reading, and would prefer to read just a few really good books, please consider one of these (you can see my more detailed reviews of each of them by clicking on the title):

1. Mary by Vladimir Nabokov

This book was a surprise. It was Nabokov's first published novel and I did not have high expectations. However, after reading this novel I do so clearly see why certain authors make it into the category of classics. Their work truly stands the test of time. The writing is amazing, the structure of the novel is really interesting, the characters are extremely well fleshed out. The main protagonist is complex and relatable, and the entire novel is permeated with a tangibly painful sense of nostalgia. I am definitely planning to read more Nabokov in 2017.

2. Summer Crossing  by Truman Capote

2016 was the year I discovered Truman Capote. I read a book about him in January (The Swans of Fifth Avenue) and became very curious about his work. If you've never read anything by him, you are missing out - he is a true master. Capote is another author I plan to keep reading.

3. Gilead by Marilynne Robinson

I read Gilead as part of my 2016 reading challenge. It fit into the category of a Pulitzer Prize-winning novel. This was another gem that reminded me why reading is worth our time. Robinson did a wonderful job writing from a point of view of an old country preacher. The book is filled with wisdom, humility and forbearance. I highly recommend it.

4. Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel

Station Eleven is a post-apocalyptic sci-fi novel. Even if you feel that you are over the entire genre which has inundated our shelves and TV screens, I would still give this one a shot. It is not just about surviving an apocalyptic event. It is also about preserving one's humanity, it's about unexpected connections, and vicissitudes of fate; it is startlingly realistic in its portrayal of an end of the world scenario and perseverance of human spirit.

5. A Gloom is Cast Upon the Ancient Steps by Alexander Chudakov / "Ложится мгла на старые ступени" А.П. Чудаков

I do not have a detailed review of this book as it is not published in English. But this book has a very deep personal meaning to me. The author was born in my home town, and in this novel, he relates the story of his own family and the story of many others displaced by the Russian revolution, wars or Stalin's purges. The novel received the Russian Booker Prize in 2011, and would be of interest to anyone interested in the Soviet history, and in particular Siberian deportations.


No comments:

Post a Comment