Tuesday, December 20, 2016

"Mary" by Vladimir Nabokov


20468627
As I mentioned in my previous post, I am currently trying to finish up my 2016 reading challenge. The next category was “a popular author’s first book.” I ended up running a google search for this and picked Vladimir Nabokov’s Mary.  Up to that point, I had only read his Lolita and had very vague ideas about his works in general. Mary was a pleasant surprise. It is a real gem of a novel. At 89 pages, it is quite easy to get through. It is also beautifully written. Set in pre-WWII Berlin, the story is focused on a boarding house where Russian emigres tended to get lodgings. The main character Gleb quite accidentally discovers that his next door neighbor is married to his first love – Mary. Moreover, she is scheduled to arrive in Berlin in a week’s time. Most of the story is focused on Gleb’s reminiscences of his youth and first love. It is very nostalgic and beautiful. Another interesting thing about the novel is that Mary who occupies the main character's every thought, and bears the name of the novel, never makes an appearance except in Gleb’s memories. I really enjoyed this book and highly recommend it. 5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment