Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Top 5 Wednesday: Books You Read in One Sitting (or close to)


 
Top 5 Wednesday was created by Lainey who can be found on YouTube as GingerReadsLainey. There is a Top 5 Wednesday Goodreads group (see here) that is open to all booktubers and bloggers. I have really enjoyed watching and reading what others have come up with for top 5 books in various categories so decided to give this a try too.

This week's topic (top 5 books that I read in one sitting (or close to it)) is a bit of a challenge for me. I am a pretty slow reader. I also like to savor the books I like and thus rarely fly through them in one sitting. However, I was able to come up with a list of 5 books that I read close to one sitting. In no particular order, here they are:

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J,K. Rowling (Harry Potter #7)

136251

This is the last book in the Harry Potter series and I remember running over to the nearest Barnes and Noble the day it came out and reading it into the wee hours of the morning. I definitely did not read this in one sitting since it is a pretty chunky book (759 pages in the original hardcover edition). However, I did read it pretty fast and pretty much put everything else in my life on hold until I finished it.

2. Price and Prejudice by Jane Austin

1885

I read Pride and Prejudice for the first time when I was a junior in college. I remember reading it between classes, during lunch and late into the evening. I was completely engrossed in this novel and absolutely in love with the characters. I later also became hooked on the BBC mini-series (that I still re-watch sometimes). I have also re-read this book multiple times and it is one of my absolute favorites.

3. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte


11016

My love for Jane Eyre began with the BBC mini-series (starring Timothy Dalton as Mr. Rochester), when I was in middle school. I read the book right after watching the mini-series, but can't say that I read it in one sitting. I did love it and finished it pretty quickly. I subsequently re-read the book several times. One of those re-reads was definitely in one sitting. I basically started reading one afternoon and did not stop until early morning. It is still one of my all time favorites.

4. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

345627

If you are not familiar with Richelle Mead's books, all I need to tell you is that she has a very addictive writing style. Vampire Academy was the first book I read by her and I flew through it. I ended up getting the rest of the series (there are 6 books total) and finished all of those equally fast. This is young adult paranormal adventure series filled with suspense,, action, intrigue, and romance. A perfect summer read if you ask me.

5. Inquest by DelSheree Gladden (Book 1 of the Destroyer Trilogy)

16114834

I talk about this series a lot on my blog. I downloaded this book for free on my Kindle and got immediately sucked into the story. I absolutely loved it. It is a dystopian/urban fantasy YA trilogy that follows a young girl who has a very unique superpower. She is the long awaited "destroyer" - a one of a kind individual destined to destroy the world. The book is fast-paced with tons of twists and turns. I read it very quickly and immediately picked up the rest of the series. I highly recommend it. It is definitely one of those under-hyped books that deserve so much more.

3 comments:

  1. YES! Vampire Academy! I started it at around 12:00 AM and finished it by 2:00 AM!
    Here's my post: http://millionbookmill.blogspot.com/2015/06/top-5-wednesday-book-i-read-in-one.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looked at yours Top 5 - CINDER - YES!! Flew through it as well.

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine reading Jane Eyre in one sitting. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete