Monday, June 15, 2015

"Scarlet" by Marissa Meyer (Book 2 of the Lunar Chronicles)


13206760
Scarlet is book 2 in the Lunar Chronicles and continues the story of Cinder, a cyborg runaway we met in Book 1 (see my review). Since this is a sequel, there is not much I can say about the plot without spoiling the first book. So I will just say I liked it even more than Cinder. Scarlet is a re-telling of Red Riding Hood, so we are introduced to a cast of new characters. However, book 2 introduces multiple perspectives and we do still follow Cinder as hers and Scarlet's paths are destined to cross. As a character, Scarlet is quite different from Cinder. She is quite independent-minded, courageous to the point of being reckless and certainly does not hesitate to stand up for herself. If Cinder did not appeal to you or you thought it was simply OK, I would still give Scarlet a shot. It has much more action and multiple points of view add complexity and depth to the overall story. I will definitely continue on with the series once I finish the books I am reading for the Rainbow Readathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment