Friday, June 26, 2015

"A Court of Thorns and Roses" by Sarah J. Maas


16096824
This book is extremely popular and lots of readers really like it. It is a Beauty and the Beast retelling, but the world is completely different. The Beast in Maas' version is a fairy with shape-shifting abilities. All the main elements of the original fairy tale are present: our main heroine - Feyre (yes, it is a variation of "Belle") winds up staying at the beast's manor, and only her love will be able to shatter the curse an evil queen bound the beast with.

I enjoyed reading this book. The writing is beautiful and the author added enough of an original backstory and side themes to make the narrative interesting. However, overall, this book exhausted me. There is simply no other way to describe it. The violence is described in every brutal details, so is the sex, and emotional tribulations. It is almost like Maas tried to create a cross between Beauty and the Beast and the Game of Thrones. I definitely think the book might not be appropriate for younger readers (definitely not anyone in middle school). I also was not happy with the second part of the book when Feyre faces the evil queen and goes through a series of trials. First of all, the moment I saw the word "arena" I started having flashbacks to The Hunger Games. Anyone writing YA, should forget this word for the next few years at least. Second of all, I did not like the twist with Rhysand. I am not going to give away any details, but if she is trying to set up a love triangle for the sequel, I'd be really disappointed. YA books really need more friendships and fewer romantic interests for their heroines. Feyre already has what's supposed to be her epic love. I think it should be left at that. In fact, I'd be happy if this was a stand alone. I am worried where Maas will go in the sequel. So overall, I enjoyed the book, but had a few issues with it and think it is definitely over-hyped. I am glad I didn't rush out and bought it the day it came out. I will however, check out the sequel even though I still think a stand alone would have been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment