Thursday, December 20, 2018

"Shadow of the Fox" by Julie Kagawa


36672988
Shadow of the Fox is book 1 in a new YA fantasy series inspired by Japanese folklore and culture. I enjoyed this book much more than I initially thought I would. It is basically a quest story. A young girl who is a half shape-shifter (she can turn into a fox) and was was raised in a remote monastery, embarks on a mission to deliver a piece of an ancient and very valuable scroll to another monastery whose location no one seems to know. On the way, she makes new friends, encounters dangerous situations, and learns about the outside world.

The book reads like a fairy tale. There are supernatural creatures, and magicians. There are also skillful shinobi, samurai, and ronins. I had a great time reading this book. I think what makes it different is the Japanese inspired setting. I felt immersed in a different culture and the world, and will definitely be reading book 2 when it comes out next year. 4 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment