Friday, December 21, 2018

Favorite Reads of 2018

It is the end of December and I am looking back at what I read in 2018. I must say I read a lot of books that were kind of middle of the way for me: neither great nor terrible. Here are five that stood out (in no particular order):

The Book of Dust by Philip Pullman
I was not a big fan of the original Golden Compass trilogy. It dragged and I struggled to get through the books. Pullman's newest release The Book of Dust was a complete opposite. I flew through the book. It is very engaging and has a likable main character. I highly recommend this book.

At the Water's Edge by Sarah Gruen
This was the first book by Sarah Gruen that I read and I fell in love with her writing. This book in particular had all the elements I like: it is historical fiction, set in Scotland near Loch Ness, there is a bit of a mystery, a forbidden romance, and a likable female character in search of redemption.

The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham
I did not appreciate this book when I first read it at the age of 18. You have to have had a bit more life experience to understand the plot and characters. This time around I was completely blown away by the story and Maugham's writing. His books seemed boring when I had to read them for school. Now, I cannot wait to revisit more of his novels.

Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky Brothers
This is a Soviet sci-fi classic that was the basis for Tarkovsky's film Stalker. A must read for any sci-fi lover, this short novella packs quite a punch and tackles deep philosophical issues. I loved it.

Evicted by Matthew Desmond
This is the only non-fiction on the list. Evicted changed the way I look at homelessness and poverty in America. It had a huge emotional impact on me and gave me new insights into issues I never thought about before. A must read for all Americans.

No comments:

Post a Comment