Monday, July 2, 2018

2018 Mid-Year Reading Goals Check-In

July managed to sneak up on me. I did not even realize yesterday was July 1 until I had to check my calendar for this week. Since we are at a half-year point, I thought it would be a good time to check in on my reading goals for the year and see how I've been doing so far. I will also answer the questions from the mid-year book freek-out tag that I did in 2016 and really enjoyed.

1. Best book you’ve read so far in 2018. 
At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen.

2. Best sequel you've read so far in 2018.
The Book of Dust by Philip Pullman

3. New release you haven't read yet, but want to.
Circe by Madeline Miller

4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year.
Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik. It comes out this month, so I do not have to wait long!

5. Biggest disappointment.
Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente

6. Biggest surprise.
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas - I LOVED this book, listened to it on audio, and I have to admit  it is one of the best audiobooks I've ever listened to.

7. Favorite new author. (Debut or new to you)
Sara Gruen - I already read two of her books this year and look forward to reading more.

8. Newest fictional crush.
Jamie Fraser - sigh. Yes, I have fallen down the Outlander hole. It will be a while before I climb out. I am only on book one of this humongous series.

9. Newest favorite character.
Baru Cormorant - wish I was that good with strategy!

10. Book that made you cry.
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.

11. Book that made you happy.
The Siren by Kiera Cass. It was also a surprise. I did not expect to like it as much as I did.

12. The most beautiful book you've bought so far this year (or received)
Anne of Green Gables - I bought an old illustrated version of it at a thrift store. It is a gorgeous edition with full-page colored illustrations and it is in an excellent condition.

13. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?
Looking over my goals for the year and progress to date, here is where I stand:

 Goals for 2018
 Progress to Date
 Read 100 books
 On track: I read 52 books so far
 Read mostly the books I already own
 Doing ok here. So far I read 28 books from my own shelves (as opposed to the library)
 Read 10 classics I've never read before
 This is the biggest problem area so far. I've only read 2 new to me classics: Lysistrata and The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.
 Re-read 10 books
 Another problem area. I've only re-read one so far - The Painted Veil by Somerset Maugham
 Finish 5 series I had started prior to 2018
 On track: I've finished 3 series, so 2 more over the next six months should be doable
 Read and review 7 ARCs
Completed. I fact, I have read and reviewed 8, and have 2 more on deck from Netgalley, so will definitely surpass this one.
 Read 5 non-fiction books
 Completed.


So it looks like I really need to step up with classics and re-reads. At this point, I doubt that I will meet those two goals, but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment