Thursday, January 7, 2016

Top 5 Reads of 2015

Looking back over 100+ books that I read in 2015, I decided to pick 5 of those that had the most impact on me. By this I mean, these books made me think, moved me in some way, and I keep thinking about them from time to time. These are also the books that I am likely to re-read or recommend to others. Instead of listing them in any particular order, I have selected books from 5 different genres and here they are.

1. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton


176108

This was by far one of the best modern day classics I have ever read. It deals with street gangs and is told from the perspective of a fourteen year old "greaser" Ponyboy. The fact that it was written by a sixteen year-old girl just completely blew my mind.  I borrowed it from the library, but am definitely planning to buy a copy for my book collection. I have a full review of the book here. This is a definite must read for everyone.

2. Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

485894

I mentioned in my 2015 wrap-up post that I managed to read 10 classics in 2015. Classics for me are usually hit or miss: I either really like it or cannot fathom how it managed to pass the test of time. Metamorphosis is amazing. Again, I do have a detailed review if you'd like to see my thoughts on it. But if you are hesitant about picking this book up, please give it a shot. It will surprise you.

3. The Invasion of the Tearling by Erika Johansen

22698568

This was my favorite fantasy read of the year and the biggest surprise. The Invasion of the Tearling is the second book in a trilogy. I did not like the first book. I thought certain aspects of the story were unrealistic and the story lacked context. The second book surpassed all of my expectations. It answered all of my questions. It is almost like in the first book we got only a tiny glimpse of the Tearling world through a narrow window; whereas book 2 dropped the curtain and revealed a complex and amazing universe full of magic, conspiracy, war and unexpected turns. I cannot wait to read book 3 (it is coming out in the fall of 2016). I will definitely be re-reading the first 2 books before the third one is out. My complete review of book 2 is here.

4. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

9516

Persepolis was my favorite memoir/autobiographical sketch of 2015. This was also my first venture into adult graphic novels. This book is amazing. Since reading it, I have purchased a copy for my personal library and I keep talking about this book every chance I get. My full review can be viewed here.

5. The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan

15724396

This was the best middle grade fantasy/series starter. I truly believe this is Rick Riordan's best book that I've read so far (and I've read 9 of his books). If you like adventure, mythology, Vikings and snarky characters, look no further. I cannot wait to read the next book. For more detailed thoughts, please see my full review.

No comments:

Post a Comment