Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The Sword of Summer (Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard #1) by Rick Riordan


15724396
This was another book from my most anticipated list for this fall. Those of you who have read Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and Gods of Olympus series know that he is a master of writing addicting and highly entertaining stories. Reading his books to me feels sort of like watching Shrek movies - you recognize the characters and references, but the story is completely fresh and original and filled with great humor and sarcasm. Well, this first installment in The Gods of Asgard series has surpassed all of my expectations. I think this is Rick Riordan's best work yet. First of all, it is based on Viking mythology - I just love that. I don't know much about Viking gods, so it was really interesting to learn the myths along the way. The main character - Magnus Chase - is a sixteen-years old homeless kid who one day discovers his relationship to the Viking gods and is suddenly tasked with averting the Viking version of a doomsday. Just like in Riordan's other stories, Magnus and his friends go on an adventure-filled quest, deal with insurmountable challenges and learn lots of new things about themselves. I also really liked the humor and sarcasm in this book. The book is told from Magnus' perspective who is quite snarky and makes lots of great remarks and observations as he tries to deal with his life-changing circumstances. I greatly enjoyed this book and will definitely look forward to Book 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment