Tuesday, December 29, 2015

"We were Liars" by E. Lockhart


16143347
This novel has gotten mixed reviews from readers and I was curious to check it out. The story follows a rich New England family that spends every summer on a private island near Nantucket. The family consists of grandparents (who have all the money), their three adult daughters and their children. The story is written from the point of view of the oldest granddaughter and heiress to the Sinclair fortune Cadence Sinclair. She tells us about her summer on Beachwood Island when she was 15. She has the fondest memories of spending time with her cousins and also falling in love with her aunt's stepson Gat. Then, one day something terrible happens. Cadence is found on a beach late at night by herself and appears to have suffered some sort of head injury. She remembers nothing of the accident or the events leading up to it. Long hospitals stays, pain medication and constant migraines are Cady's reality after the accident. E-mails to her cousins remain unanswered and the boy she thought she was in love with never visits her in the hospital or makes any attempt to contact her. Cady is devastated. Two years after the accident she is determined to go back to Beachwood Island to confront her cousins and Gat and finally get some answers.

I loved this book. I ended up getting it as an audiobook from the library and I would highly recommend this format. It is fairly short and beautifully narrated. Some reviewers mentioned that they figured out how the story would end. I was not one of them. The ending was completely unexpected to me and I really liked how the story wrapped up. I am really glad I decided to give this book a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment