Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Top 5 Wednesday: Favorite Chapter Headings

Top 5 Wednesday was created by Lainey who can be found on YouTube as GingerReadsLainey. There is a Top 5 Wednesday Goodreads group (see here) that is open to all booktubers and bloggers. The topic for the first Wednesday in July is Favorite Chapter Headings. In my post I decided to focus more on chapter titles rather than the fonts or art design used in headings.

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J,K. Rowling

3

You just know the book is going to be good if you are hooked from the moment of reading the title of the very first chapter: "The Boy who Lived" - don't you just want to find out what's that all about? I think Rowling did an amazing job coming up with chapter titles. Another favorite of mine from this book is "The Letters from No One."

2. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer
41865

My foray into YA books began with Twilight. No matter what the critics might say about the quality of writing and the characters, this is the book that got young people reading and it will always be the book that got me hooked on YA. This book has chapter titles and just looking over them brings back the wonderful memories I have of reading this novel: "First Sight," "Phenomenon" and "An Impasse."

3. The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin


20312470

This was a recent read and one detail I enjoyed about this book is that before each chapter there is a note with a book review that A.J. writes for his daughter. Those notes are fascinating and got me interested in some of the books mentioned. Most of them are classics or literary fiction and I always talk about wanting to read more classics. I think this was a very creative way to include A.J.'s notes in the book and I really enjoyed reading them.

4. The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen

8354134

This is one of my favorite books and I think it deserves a lot more attention than it is currently getting. The book is about a young girl, a runner, who loses her leg in a car accident. It is the story of her journey back to running, and if you look over the chapter titles you get the idea of how the story develops and what the central theme is:
Part I     Finish Line
Part II    Headwind
Part III   Straightaway
Part IV   Adjusting the Blocks
Part V    Starting Line

5. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson


297

I loved this book when I was a child and looking at the chapter headings transports me into the wonderful world of pirates, sea battles and hunting for treasure: "The Old Sea Dog at the 'Admiral Benbow'", "The Black Spot," "The Sea Chest," "I Strike the Jolly Roger" etc. Great memories!

2 comments:

  1. I also listed the first Harry Potter chapter title. It's iconic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Crystal - I couldn't agree more

    ReplyDelete