Tuesday, July 7, 2015

"A Million Miles Away" by Lara Avery


18484795
This is a new release (the book has just come out today). I read an advanced e-reader copy that I got from Netgalley. The book is marketed on goodreads as being perfect for fans of Nicholas Sparks. I personally do not like his novels, but I decided to give this one a shot and I was not disappointed.

The basic story line is as follows. Our main character Kelsey is a senior in high school, and her twin sister gets tragically killed in a car crash on her way home from the airport where she just saw her boyfriend Peter off for his deployment to Afghanistan. Kelsey and her parents are overwhelmed with grief and try to deal with the pain in whatever way they can. Then one day, Kelsey accidentally answers a skype call from Peter who has no idea about the accident and thinks that he is talking to Michelle. During this and subsequent communications Peter shares with her glimpses of the hardships he is facing in the warzone and Kelsey just does not have the heart to tell him about her sister's death. She keeps up the act and eventually falls in love with Peter who still does not know that he is communicating with Michelle's twin.

When I started reading the book, I was very skeptical and did not like the first 4 chapters or so. However, from that point on, the book was just perfect. I could really relate to Kelsey and what she felt. I think the author did an amazing job describing someone dealing with grief. Kelsey to me also felt very real. Oftentimes in YA contemporaries, we see these perfect heroines who make all the right choices and reason clearly and rationally at all times. Kelsey to me was a typical teenager overwhelmed with loss and trying to deal with issues as they come up. She makes mistakes, she hurts herself and others, but she also loves deeply, and comes across as a genuine person. Avery created someone you can actually picture as real. I really enjoyed reading this book, and I highly recommend it. You will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment