Sunday, November 30, 2014

Let's Talk about Series

It is the last day of the month so I thought I would do another post on what I have been reading.

I started a new series that's been sitting on my shelf for quite some time: Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. I finished the first book last week. This book seems to have gotten mixed reviews: some find too many similarities with Twilight, others think there is too much emphasis on romance and not enough action. I personally liked this book. I liked the writing - it is very lyrical almost poetic at times. Sure, it is about werewolves, but it does not mean it could not be beautifully written. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

I also inadvertently got sucked into reading Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard. The first book was free on Amazon so I read it. I had never watched the TV show and did not know what the book was about. However, because it is a mystery, I felt I needed to keep reading just to find out who the bad guy was. What a mistake! You do not learn ANYTHING until book 4 and even then, it is not even close to the end of the story.  Book 4 was the only one in this series that I thought was half way decent. Books 1 through 3 read more like a soap opera with an undertone of a bad horror movie (lightning flashing, figures appearing out of nowhere, etc, etc). Book 4 was interesting, finally provided some closure and really pulled me in. I am now reading book 4.5 - a collection of holiday stories about the main characters, and these are also quite disappointing. I don't think I'll be continuing with this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment