Tuesday, July 2, 2024

"The Saint of Bright Doors" by Vajra Chandrasekera

I read The Saint of Bright Doors for the Sci-Fi/Fantasy book club I am a member of. I think this book is really hard to summarize or even talk about. I'd be very curious how the discussion goes tonight. But here are some of my thoughts:

1. I wouldn't have picked this up if it was not a book club selection

2. I am really glad I read it!

3. I have never been this confused but also fascinated! 

4. I definitely recommend it if you are a fantasy reader. (If this is your first fantasy read, this is probably not the place to start!)

I literally could not stop reading this book even though the fact that reality and the world kept changing only added to my feeling disoriented. You know how for a while an unreliable narrator was a thing? Well, I think this author does the unreliable reality really well! Powerful religious leaders in this book have the power to change not only the physical landscape, but history and reality itself.

I loved how the main character - Fetter - stays focused on trying to be true to himself (or at least attempting to figure out what it means). He is simply forging his own path by taking it one day at a time and pursuing what interests or means the most to him in the moment, rather than getting caught up in some revolutionary, big "save the world" idea of the day. In addition, Fetter was raised to believe that his destiny or mission in life was to kill his estranged father, a powerful religious cleric and leader. And even though at times, he still gets caught up in this pursuit, most of the time he just wants to live his life and be free from any sort of mission. He does get involved with a revolutionary group and even agrees to help them, but only because his "assignment" involves studying the mysterious bright doors that he is fascinated with. He is also more focused on making friends than connecting over a united goal. 

Using theater to promote a revolutionary idea is certainly not a new concept. Books, plays, films have been censored or even banned throughout history by governments that are afraid of dangerous or revolutionary ideas. It was interesting to see how characters in this novel were using theater to promote their ideas.

The unexpected reveal of the real narrator of the story was PERFECT!! Loved that. I am not going to spoil it here, but just wait for it - it was one of the best unexpected turns I've ever encountered in fiction. 

I also really liked the thought over matter power in this book and the idea behind the bright doors. This was very different from anything I've read. Overall, there are lots of layers in this novel which should make for a good book club discussion. But I also see how this book could be too much for some readers. My overall ranking is 4 out of 5 stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment