Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Mid-Year Reading Check-in

1. Number of books read so far this year 

62 as if today - my Goodreads goal is set at 75 for the year, so I am probably going to exceed this goal. I do have some chunky books to read in the second half of the year so it is good not be focused on the number.

2. Best book you’ve read so far in 2024 

Just Mercy by Brian Stevenson was definitely the most thought provoking book I read this year. It is non-fiction about the incarceration system in America. It really got me interested in the subject and I ended up reading another book about prisons and the concept of imprisonment. 


3. Best sequel you've read so far in 2024

Glow of the Everflame by Penn Cole. It is the second book in a fantasy romance series, and it really expanded the world and convinced me to stick with the series.


4. New release you haven't read yet, but want to

When the Moon Hatched by Sarah A. Parker. This is a very popular fantasy romance novel that a lot of readers love, and I want to see if it becomes a favorite for me also.


5. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year

I tend not to follow upcoming releases. However, there is one book I have pre-ordered and it is Lady Macbeth by Ava Reid.

6. Biggest disappointment

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by Victoria Schwab - this book is a favorite for many readers and I thought I was going to love it. The concept of a young woman who makes a deal with the devil and becomes immortal is fascinating. However, I ended up really struggling getting into this novel and found it pretty boring at times.


7. Biggest surprise

One Italian Summer by Rebecca Serle. I read this book very early in June and it really gave me summer vibes and renewed my desire to take another trip to Italy. I am now also very interested in checking out this author's other books.


8. Favorite new author. (Debut or new to you)

Rebecca Serle (see previous question).

9. Newest fictional crush

Luther from Spark of the Everflame series by Penn Cole (see question 3 above).

10. Newest favorite character

Probably Fetter from The Saint of Bright Doors. I just finished that book earlier today (and posted a review. here), and I really enjoyed his perspective and perseverance to forge his own path in life.

11. Book that made you cry

A Place for Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza - this was a heart wrenching family saga about finding your way in the world, going against tradition, but also loving your estranged child even if reconciling is not possible in this world.

12. Book that made you happy

One Italian Summer.

13. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?

I have not yet read any classics this year, so I would like to pick up at least one.


No comments:

Post a Comment