Monday, July 12, 2021

"The Witch's Heart" by Genevieve Gornichec

I am not going to lie, the first thing that got me interested in this book was the cover. There is just something so magnetically appealing about it - the way the woman's profile is sketched and the color scheme and of course the monsters in her hair. Then I read the description and I was sold. This is the story of the witch who marries Loki and gives birth to the three monsters who bring down the gods of Asgard during the Ragnarok. Loki is in my opinion, by far the most interesting character in Norse mythology. He always straddles the line between the good and the evil, and his duality and unpredictability is what makes him interesting and dynamic. 

Overall, this book will appeal to those who liked Circe by Madeline Miller and to fans of Norse myths. I recently read Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology and it was very helpful in understanding the events in The Witch's Heart. The author draws heavily on the various well-known stories of Loki and other Asgardians and some knowledge of the source material will definitely be beneficial if you decide to pick up this book.

Just like Circe this novel explores the role and plight of women in ancient cultures, which is reflected in the way women are portrayed in myths and folklore. Also, as in Circe the so called gods really do not have nay redeeming qualities - they are just as cruel and selfish as their Greek/Roman counterparts. Finally, just as Circe, The Witch's Heart is written entirely from the main female character's perspective and we get her take on the events.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I found that some parts, especially in the beginning, were a bit slow, but it also might have been my own distracted state of mind at the time. As we as society continue to struggle with the COVID-19 pandemic, reading and enjoying any kind of hobbies is becoming more difficult. 4 out of 5 stars. I definitely recommend this novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment