Monday, July 12, 2021

2021 Mid-Year Reading Goals Check-in

Now that we are halfway through 2021, it is time to review how I am doing with my reading goals. Here is a brief summary.

Goals

Progress to date

1. Read 100 books.

On target. As of today, I read 70 books this year

2. Read fewer ARCs (I read 30 last year and it was too much), so maybe pick up 10 or 12

I am doing better in this area, so far I read 12 ARCs this year, and I have 3 or 4 remaining. I was also better at DNF’ing the ARCs I did not like.

3. Read mostly the books I already own

Doing well here. In the first half of 2021, I read 39 of my own books (not counting the 12 ARCs)

4. Read 10 non-fiction books

Very pleased with my progress here. I read 8 non-fiction books this year. I really find that I enjoy non-fiction better in an audio format.

5. Read 5 classics

A bit disappointed in this one. Even though I have read 6 classics, they were mostly short novellas. I was really hoping to pick up larger novels. This is one of the areas I need to focus on in the second half of the year.

6. Work on finishing off some series

Not doing great here at all. Have not finished any series this year and I have plenty to work through.


I will also answers the same questions I've answered last year when I did my mid-year check-in:

1. Best book you’ve read so far in 2021

The Kingdoms by Natasha Pulley. She is definitely one of my favorite authors. I've loved all of her books and this was no exception.

2. Best sequel you've read so far in 2020

The Kingdom of Copper by S.A. Chakraborty. I absolutely love this series and cannot wait to read the conclusion.

3. New release you haven't read yet, but want to

Beneath the Keep by Erika Johansen.

4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year

Book Number 4 in the Bromance book club series is coming out this month. It is going to focus on the story of the Russian hockey player and I am really interested to see where it goes.

5. Biggest disappointment

This has to be Malibu Rising Taylor Jenkins Reid - her books are incredibly popular and universally lauded. I have not read any other of her works, but this newest release was a huge let down.

6. Biggest surprise

Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro. I read this for the book club and the novel is packed with so much meaning and is so thought provoking that it will definitely be on my top 10 list for the year.

7. Favorite new author. (Debut or new to you)

Kazuo Ishiguro. I think this year I am learning to appreciate literary sci-fi much more. I really want to read more of his books.

8. Newest fictional crush

Not sure I have one.

9. Newest favorite character

Anne de Bourgh from Heiress by Molly Greeley. I loved the happy ending this character from Pride and Prejudice received in this story.

10. Book that made you cry

Unexpectedly, Sword of Destiny (Witcher #2) by Andrzej Sapkowski.

11. Book that made you happy

A Royal Pain by Rhys Bowen. I love this cozy mystery series. 

12. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?

Definitely classics and perhaps a series or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment