Friday, June 25, 2021

"Project Hail Mary" by Andy Weir

I never actually read Andy Weir's breakout novel The Martian. I did really like the movie. His second novel Artemis was a huge disappointment. So when the Sci-Fi and Fantasy Book club I am a member of picked his newest release as our next read, I was cautiously optimistic. I really hoped this new book would be more like The Martian and redeem the author. 

I was not disappointed. I think Andy Weir's strength is writing science-y Sci-Fi about loners. We spend a lot of time in Ryland Grace's (our main character's) head, who wakes up in a spaceship many lightyears away from earth and is apparently humanity's the only hope for survival. Ryland meets an alien in this story - also the only survivor on his spaceship - who is on a very similar mission to save his own species. The two have to work together to come up with a solution, or at the very least, die together trying.

Even though the book is filled with stereotypes and minor inaccuracies, it is a very enjoyable ride. The self-deprecating humor is excellent, the story is moving at a nice clip, and Weir comes up with really fascinating and realistic scenarios for the story. His explanations never seem far-fetched and for a layperson, the science reads very realistic and true. It is by no means great literature, but it is highly entertaining and interesting. My understanding is a movie based on the novel is already in the making, and I think it definitely could be as successful as The Martian was. 4 out of 5 stars. Definitely recommend.


No comments:

Post a Comment