Friday, June 25, 2021

"My Contrary Mary" by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows

I must say this book was a bit of a disappointment. I listened to it on audio (received an audio ARC from NetGalley.com). The story overall is an enjoyable reimagining of what happened to Mary, Queen of Scots. When thinking of how to describe it the best word that comes to mind is "cute". I am not sure I would have finished it, had I read it rather than listened. 

The book just reads a bit too young. Even though it is marketed as YA, I would say it is better suited for 12 to 14 year olds. I do hope that this and similar retellings inspire young readers to look into the actual historical events the book is based on and get them interested in doing a bit of research or perhaps even further reading. I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars. An enjoyable story for younger readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment