Sunday, September 20, 2020

"The Silvered Serpents" by Roshani Chokshi

The Silvered Serpents is the action-packed sequel to The Gilded Wolves which I read last year. In this installment, Severin, Laila, Zofia, Enrique and Hypnos travel to Russia. In Book 1, they were able to thwart the Fallen House's plot but did not find all of the House's treasure. Among it, as rumor has it, one will find The Divine Lyrics, the book which Laila needs in order to prolong her life. 

I did re-read The Gilded Wolves right before I started the sequel, and I am glad I did as I definitely forgot many of the details. The book was just as enjoyable upon re-reading as I remembered. The Silvered Serpents is definitely darker and grittier. Severin painfully suffers the loss of Tristan. His grief consumes him. He truly thinks he can never let anyone get close to him and risk such pain again. He and Laila barely speak to each other even as Laila starts counting down the days to her 19th birthday - the day of her foretold death. As our friends rush to the lake Baikal in search of the Sleeping Palace, prepare for more secrets, betrayals, unexpected plot twists and heartache. 

As usual with fantasy based in Russia, I know some readers will find fault with Chokshi's use of Russian names, geography and history. Mistakes of this kind do not bother me in fantasy. It is her world and the author definitely has the creative license to do whatever she wants. But I admit, it is a bit annoying when the Ural Mountains suddenly pop up near Baikal (imagine if the Rockies were said to be located in Virginia), or a character's last name is constructed as a patronymic (Efremovna instead of Efremova). 

Overall, I really enjoyed the book. It does end on a bit of a cliffhanger. It is not a bad one. Many things are explained and we know what is happening but the book definitely does not have a self-contained ending. At this point, I am not sure when book 3 is going to be released, but I would imagine, at least a year from now.

5 out of 5 stars. Definitely recommend. An e-ARC was provided by NetGalley.com

No comments:

Post a Comment