Saturday, July 16, 2016

Jane Steele by Lindsay Faye


25938397
I was intrigued by this book as soon as I learned that it was a Jane Eyre re-telling. Moreover, the main heroine - Jane Steele - was supposed to be a serial killer. Naturally, I had to check it out.

The first 100 pages or so were really frustrating for me because the book read more like a spoof than a retelling, and I did not enjoy a mocking of my favorite novel. However, the novel got better once Mr. Thornfield appeared on the scene. From that point on, Jane was much more likable, the plot picked up in pace and originality, and I found myself enjoying the book.

The novel also had surprising historical details about the Sikh wars and the Punjab region and culture. Another surprising thing about the book was the whole business of Jane being a serial killer. Jane does end up murdering 5 people throughout the novel, however, all of them were such scum that she did a world a favor by ridding it of them. Overall, I ended up rating this novel 4 out 5 stars and am looking forward to checking out Faye's other novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment