Friday, May 1, 2015

Revisiting my New Year Resolutions about Reading

In January I posted a list of reading goals I have for myself for 2015. Since we are 4 months into 2015, I think this is a good time to look back over the list and see how I am doing.

First of all, I set a goal to read 70 books this year. So far, I have read 36 (soon to be 37) books, which means that I am more than half way done after only 4 months of reading. Great job on this one!

Since I did not do so well with reading classics last year (I read only one), I planned to read more classics in 2015. Well, so far I've read one: Metamorphosis by Kafka. I still have 8 months, so definitely need to squeeze in a couple of classics in there.

My next challenge to myself was to read a book in Russian. Well, since I actually read Metamorphosis in Russian, I guess I kind of killed two birds with one stone there. But I do plan on reading more books in Russian. I already have several in my Kindle and will try to get to them as soon as possible.

Next up was to read a biography or two. I did pretty well in this category. Wild by Cheryl Strayed is definitely biographical in nature and I have just finished reading it in April. In addition, the three graphic novels by Marjane Satrapi Persepolis, Persepolis 2 and Embroideries are all biographical and you can see my reviews of them on this blog.

Then, I wanted to read at least one book written entirely in verse. I have not completed this challenge yet. However, I did download Rumble by Ellen Hopkins onto my e-reader, so will definitely be reading it soon.

Finally, I was planning to read several series, and I am doing great with this goal. I have read 6 duo-logies/series this year so far - Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi, Eon/Eona by Alison Goodman, Seraphina by Rachel Hartman, Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi, The Rosie Project/The Rosie Effect by Graeme Simsion and The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke. I have also started new series so definitely doing great on this goal.

To sum up, I am very pleased with my progress towards my reading goals so far. Definitely need to make a push on classics and books in Russian, or maybe just read some Russian classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment