Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Making Good on Resolutions – Reading More Classics

After reviewing my progress against my reading goals for the year, I realized I was planning to read more classics but by the month of May had only read one. So, this month I have read two more classics and loved both of them.

The first one was John Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men. I had never read anything by Steinbeck and after reading this short novella, I am definitely planning to read more of his books. The story is about two drifters traveling around California picking up odd jobs and dreaming of one day getting their own place and enjoying a simple life on a farm. George is definitely more of a leader in this pair. He makes all the decisions and takes care of Lennie, a child-like man of immense physical strength who most likely has some sort of mental disability. It is a very short and sad book. I can’t really say much about the plot as I don’t want to ruin it for those who have not read it. The story is very poignant and powerful. It is amazing that Steinbeck is able to pack so much into such a short book. I definitely recommend this one.

The second classic I read was To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee. I know a lot of people read it in high school, but I never have, and now with Harper Lee’s new book coming out this summer, I really wanted to read the first one. This book is amazing. I loved everything about it: the writing, the setting, the plot, the characters.  Lee is the maters of transporting her readers into a small Alabama town in the 1930s and relaying a heart-breaking story of racial injustice as seen through the eyes of an 8-year old girl named Scout. Through childlike innocence, we get to know the inhabitants of the town with all their prejudices, faults and virtues. Truly, out of the mouth of the babe comes out the unmasking of hypocrisy and lies. If you never read this book, you definitely should.

No comments:

Post a Comment