Friday, January 16, 2015

"The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" by James Thurber


20307993
I loved this short story. It made me chuckle and reminded me of myself at times. We all daydream. When I was a child I remember daydreaming constantly. Even nowadays, while driving to work or doing other day-to-day ordinary things, I find myself transported to a different world - reliving pages of a book I am reading or writing stories in my thought that will never see the light of day...

In Thurber's work, we have an old man, whose real life is pretty ordinary - he drives his wife to a hair appointment and then has to run a couple of very mundane errands such as picking up a pair of overshoes and a bag of dog biscuits. But on the inside, in the magical world of his imagination he is a hero saving humanity: a brave Navy commander, a brilliant surgeon, or a key witness in a sensational trial. Such a great glimpse into an amazing imaginary world of one person! In real life, we might be struggling under the weight of poor health, drudgery of work or pure banality of our existence, but in our thinking there is no limit to where we can go and what we can be. We are all so much more than what is visible on the outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment