Monday, June 8, 2020

Reading the Classics: "Claudine's House" by Colette

492243
Ever since I watched (and loved) the movie about Colette (starring Keira Knightley), I've wanted to read a book by her. Colette was quite a controversial figure in her time, mostly because of her scandalous lifestyle and performances at the Moulin Rouge. Her writing career began when she was married to her first husband Willy, a notorious libertine and opportunist. Sensing Colette's talent, he forced her to write for long periods of time under lock and key and insisted that she include salacious details in her books. He then published her work under his own name. The books were a tremendous success and were semi-biographical in nature. 

Claudine's House is a book Colette wrote much later in life. It is a compilation of reminiscences and stories about her happy childhood in the French countryside. They made me quite nostalgic and took me back to my own childhood memories. Colette's writing is exquisite and refreshing. It feels like seeping a cold drink while sitting in a rocking chair on the back porch on a warm summer day. Each story brings out a certain aspect or memory whether it is an amusing story about a household pet, a gossipy tale about a pretty neighbor or a reflection on her mother's idiosyncrasies. 

I really enjoyed this book and was glad to discover that my fascination with Colette was well-placed. I will definitely be reading more of her work and about her life if I get a chance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment