Friday, January 3, 2020

"The Map from Here to There" by Emery Lord

Emery Lord is known for writing cute YA contemporaries. I had never read anything by her so cannot comment on how this book compares to her other works. Also, after I finished the book, I realized that this is book 2 in a duology. However, I had no problem reading it as a standalone. Everything was well explained and I never felt that some information was missing.

Overall, this book was heart-warningly cute but also unexpectedly deep. Paige is a high school senior who wrestles with a lot of relatable questions: go for in-state tuition or try to apply to dream schools also? Try to stay close to your boyfriend or make decisions based on other factors? She also battles anxiety, grief and the overall sense of how uncertain one's future is. Who says that high school years are the most carefree? What about all the pressure to do well and get into a good school, on top of social anxiety, fitting in, first love, etc. I really enjoyed this book: both for the easy style and the poignant topics raised. Definitely recommend this. 5 out of 5 stars.

An e-ARC was provided by NetGalley.com

No comments:

Post a Comment