Monday, April 1, 2019

The Classics Challenge: "North and South" by Elizabeth Gaskell

Somehow, despite all my love for British classics, I had never picked up a novel by Elizabeth Gaskell. Furthermore, I don't think I even heard that much about her when I was younger. No one was reading Gaskell whereas many were swept away by the Bronte sisters, Jane Austin and Charles Dickens.

I must say, I do love her writing. I think a lot of people are intimidated by classics - Victorian literature in particular - because the novels tend to be wordy, expressions - full of pathos, and characters - too prim and proper. It takes a certain type of a reader, one who loves the historic period, and probably somewhat idolizes the atmosphere created in the novels and the manners of the day, to actually like Victorian (or Edwardian, or the Regent period) classics. Gaskell's language is beautiful and simple at the same time. I would definitely recommend her novels to someone who is concerned that the turn of phrase in Victorian novels is too archaic or difficult to understand.

North and South is a romance story at the heart of it. Ms. Margaret Hale is a daughter of a clergyman who decided to leave the church and moves his family from the South of England to the industrial city of Milton in the North where he takes a position of a private tutor. Mr. John Thornton is a rich industrialist who owns factories in Milton. We do get the perspectives of both characters, although admittedly, Thornton's figure is much less fleshed out than that of Margaret.

I did see this novel compared with Pride and Prejudice, and must admit that you could find a few similarities: a hate to love relationship and a domineering older female relative who does not approve of the heroine are the two main similarities that jumped out at me. Overall, North and South is completely unique and does not compare with Austin's comedy of manners. Gaskell's characters are somehow grittier, they suffer and toil more, their problems definitely go beyond immediate domestic interests. Gaskell not only paints the somewhat sheltered life of a Victorian young woman, but we also get a glimpse of the impact the Industrial Revolution has on the life in England. There are unions, strikes, fortunes made and lost. And by the same token, in the South, we see Margaret's cousin and aunt lead the carefree life of landed gentry.

To sum up, North and South is a solid, enjoyable classic. I would not call it the best one I've ever read and I am definitely not certain I will ever pick it up again (I might watch the TV series). But I definitely recommend it and will be picking up Gaskell's other works. 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment