Thursday, January 31, 2019

"Slayer" by Kiersten White


34723130
I decided to read Slayer by Kiersten White because the cover claims the book is “from the world of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.” I was a huge Buffy fan back in the day. Watched the series from the very first episode when it released in 1997. The book is set in the same world, but Buffy is not the main character.  Instead, we follow Nina and her sister Artemis, who live with the remnants of the Watchers’ Council in a castle outside of Dublin.

I would say the world felt more like that of the spin-off show Angel, where you know Buffy is in it doing her thing, but this is a different story. I have seen some not so positive reviews from Buffy fans, but personally I loved the book. I thought the pacing, the banter, the setting were all on point. Perhaps since I’ve read so many disappointing YA novels lately, it was not hard for Slayer to clear the bar set so low. But I truly do think Kiersten White did a great job with this book. If you are a Buffy fan, and in particular, if you also enjoyed the spin-off show Angel, I would definitely give it a go. Five out of five stars for me. Can’t wait for book 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment