Friday, September 14, 2018

Reading Autobiographical Essays: Chabon and Sedaris


36341620I recently discovered a new genre that I enjoy: autobiographical essays. I first ventured into the genre when I picked up David Sedaris' Calypso which came as part of my Book of the Month subscription. This book was delightful. Sedaris reflects on everything from tracking steps on his Fit-Bit to talking to strangers to our inevitable mortality. Some of the essays in this book are laugh-out-loud funny and some tend to be more introspective and melancholy in nature. The stories are interconnected and the same characters re-appear over and over again. So by the end of the book,  you feel like you really got to know Sedaris' family. He makes poignant observations and captures essential details of others' personalities and quirks. I highly recommend this book.

36039846The second essay collection that I just recently finished on an audiobook was Pops: Fatherhood in Pieces by Michael Chabon. The book begins with an account of a conversion Michael Chabon had in his youth with an unnamed famous writer, who advised him not to have kids if he ever wants to be a successful author. Well, Chabon has fathered four children and according to him, was the most prolific in putting out novels while enjoying a happy family life. His essays focus on the lessons he's learned about being a parent, on his relationship with his children and the love he has for his own father and the memories he cherishes of spending time with him now that his dad is no longer here.

I highly recommend both of these books. They are fairly short but pack an impressive punch. I will definitely be reading more from both of these authors. 5 out of 5 stars to both collections.

No comments:

Post a Comment