Thursday, February 8, 2018

"The Left Hand of Darkness" by Ursula Le Guin


13601629
The bookclub I am a member of chose this novel in memory of Ursula Le Guin, who recently passed away. I had never read anything by her and was very curious.

When I started reading this book I was not sure I would like it. Even though the world was undoubtedly very intricate and well developed, I found the motives of characters confusing and unclear. Genli Ai is a human representative of a coalition of planets who arrives on the new planet called Winter to make the first contact with its inhabitants and possibly down the road have them join the coalition. He interacts with various political and spiritual leaders, makes friends, learns about the various practices and cultures and gets caught in the middle of an international dispute.

I became completely vested in the novel once the story moved further along. I loved Winter, the planet where the book is set. Just as Genly Ai gradually assimilates and feels at home on Winter and among its androgynous inhabitants, so I got more and more attached to this world and the characters.

My absolute favorite part of the book was Genly and Therem’s trip over Ice. Not only do they overcome incredible odds of surviving the trek in such brutal conditions, they also finally learn to trust each other and become united in purpose. I also enjoyed the various myths and stories scattered throughout the book that added more depth and complexity to the fictional world of Winter. I definitely recommend this book. This was my first experience with Ursula Le Guin's books, and this novel was a good place to start for me. 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment