Saturday, December 12, 2020

"The Silent Companions" by Laura Purcell

I have owned a copy of this book for quite some time now, and finally picked it up earlier this month. I loved it so much that I immediately ordered another novel by Laura Purcell and hope it will be just as good. The Silent Companions is a delicious mix of a Gothic ghost story set in a Victorian period, a twisted family drama, and a spooky thriller that will make you jump at every sound if you stay up late reading this book.

Our main character Elsie Bainbridge is newly widowed and moves to her husband's estate in the country. Her husband died there quite suddenly and of unknown causes. So Elsie not only has to deal with the shock of his death but also the disturbing history surrounding the house, which she slowly begins to uncover. Finally, Elsie and her husband's cousin Sarah, who moved to the estate with her, discover that the house has silent companions - wooden cutouts with people painted on them. Needless to say, these companions are quite creepy and seem to have a mind of their own.

The book is beautifully written and the plot if quite immersive. Purcell is a master of suspense. I was often at the edge of my seat compulsively (albeit with my heart pounding) reading page after page trying to find out what is going to happen next. I also liked that the author ties all the loose ends at the end in a nice neat bow. So you shouldn't worry that the book will have an open ending. I felt the ending was quite satisfying, and I overall very much enjoyed this book. 5 out of 5 stars. Highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment