Monday, October 12, 2020

"Black Sun" by Rebecca Roanhorse

I must admit, it took me a couple of days to get into this newest fantasy novel inspired by civilizations of pre-Columbian Americas. But once I got pulled into the story, there was no turning back. I just finished the book a few minutes ago and boy, do I wish I had the sequel to dive into! Luckily for me, this is the first book in a series but I'll have to wait a while, since book 1 is only just coming out tomorrow.

But let's look at the story. Our main hero Serapio from the early age was groomed to become a vessel for the Crow God. Powerful rituals, mutilation, blood sacrifice and grueling training were all part of his upbringing and path towards fulfillment of his destiny - vengeance for his clan and destruction of the Sun Priest. If you like anti-hero origin stories, this might be the one for you. 

Overall, the story has an expansive and fascinating world with complex religious and political structures, occultism, magical creatures, witches and powerful beings. I am by no means an expert on the fantasy genre, but as someone who reads voraciously across genres, I can confidently say I have never read anything like this book before. Not only is the world unique, the author also took special pains to avoid familiar tropes often used in fantasy. The reader might think where the story is going or might expect a particular twist in the plot, just to have their expectations shatter and be swept by the story anew.

5 out of 5 stars. A truly epic tale, unforgettable cast of characters and a unique and amazing world.

An e-ARC was provided by NetGalley.com

No comments:

Post a Comment