Saturday, June 27, 2020

2020 Mid-Year Reading Goals Check-In

Late June-early July is that time of year when I like to look back on the first six months of reading and re-visit what I liked/disliked and how well (or not) I am doing with my reading goals for the year. As I've done in the past I will incorporate some questions from the mid-year book freak-out tag that many book bloggers like doing around this time of year.

1. Best book you’ve read so far in 2020
The Lost Future of Pepperharrow by Natasha Pulley. If I ever had any doubts that Natasha Pulley was one of my favorite authors, they have been utterly obliterated now.

2. Best sequel you've read so far in 2020
Aurora Burning by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

3. New release you haven't read yet, but want to
Network Effect by Martha Wells

4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year
The Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer

5. Biggest disappointment
The Arrangement by Sylvia Day - DNF'ed at 20 %, complete and utter trash in my opinion, and I rarely say that about books

6. Biggest surprise
The Kin of Ata are Waiting for You by Dorothy Bryant - read this for my bookclub and it turned out to be an unexpectedly deep examination of one journey to self-discovery and growth

7. Favorite new author. (Debut or new to you)
Yaa Gyasi. Her writing is very hard-hitting and vivid. When I read her book I saw the scenes she created and felt the pain and joy of the characters. 

8. Newest fictional crush
Kal from Aurora Burning. Who wouldn't like a purple-eyed Legolas look-alike

9. Newest favorite character
The Murderbot from The Murderbot Diaries. Technically I read the first novella last year, but I read three more recently and they further solidified my love for this character.

10. Book that made you cry
The Jane Austen Society by Natalie Jenner

11. Book that made you happy
The Vanderbeekers series by Karina Yan Glaser. This middle-grade series is cozy and heart-warming and everything I look for when I pick up a children's book.

13. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?
Looking over my goals for the year and progress to date, I really need to focus on reading classics. I have the set goal of 12 for the year, and so far read only 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment