Sunday, September 29, 2019

"10 Blind Dates" by Ashley Elston


43885673
I must admit I almost quit reading this book about 15% in. However, I am glad I decided to stick with it. Our main character Sophie is a high school senior and is looking forward to spending time with her boyfriend Griffin during the winter break while her parents are visiting her older sister. However, Sophie's joy is short-lived. The same evening as her parents leave town, she overhears Griffin telling his friend that he wants to break up with her. Sophie is devastated and goes to stay with her grandparents who live in a town a couple of hours away. There, she is surrounded by her large extended family, who take upon themselves to cheer her up and draw up a schedule to arrange 10 blind dates for Sophie. And so the adventure begins.

The book ended up having some really funny moments. I found myself laughing out loud a few times. Sophie's grandparents have 8 children, so her family is large, noisy and everyone is in everyone else's business. If you like the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding, you will probably enjoy this book. As often with YA contemporary novels, the main characters sometimes feel much older than they are supposed to be in the book: the fact that can be irritating to some readers. I myself almost quit reading it, as the beginning was a bit too melodramatic and hard to believe. I did end up enjoying the book and rated it 3 out of 5 stars. This would make a nice light holiday read.

An e-ARC was provided by NetGalley.com

No comments:

Post a Comment