Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Re-Reading Classics: “Emma” and “Persuasion” by Jane Austen


91918
Continuing my project of re-reading some favorite classics, including among others, Jane Austen, I have recently finished her Persuasion and Emma. Neither one stood out to me when I first read them 20 years ago. In fact, I barely remembered the plots of both of these novels. On the second re-read, my much older self definitely preferred Emma

To me, Emma seems much more relatable and real. She is vivacious, fiercely loyal to her family and friends, but also young and naive. Her lack of experience is seen in mistakes she makes about people’s dispositions and attachments. She thinks she knows what she wants in life (never to marry and always remain the mistress of Hartfield). She is also sure which male acquaintance admires her particular friend Harriet Smith. She makes blunder after blunder, until she finally sees the depth of her own misjudgment and learns to listen to and understand her own heart.

In contrast, Anne in Persuasion is older, sadder and wiser than Emma. She’s been deeply disappointed in love and is thus very cautious about attachments. Anne is level-headed and good, a true lady in conduct and intentions. I did enjoy Persuasion very much. But of the two, Emma was more to my taste.

Both novels have unforgettable casts of great characters and Austen’s signature humor and keen observations on manners and morals of the day. I did like both novels and rated them 5 out of 5 stars. I also watched the BBC four-part series Emma and highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment