Tuesday, June 12, 2018

"99 Days" by Katie Cotugno


22836575
With the weather finally warm and sunny, all I want to read are fluffy contemporaries about summer, friendships, and love. Katie Cotugno is the author whose name I hear a lot from various book-tubers so I decided to check out one of her books. Unfortunately, this one was a huge miss for me.

99 Days is about a girl named Molly who just recently graduated from a boarding school and comes home for the summer (99 days to be exact) before going off to college. When Molly abruptly left for the boarding school a year ago, it was not because she wanted to be there. She left because she had to, and now that she returned, her past comes back to haunt her.

Overall, it was hard for me to relate to the main heroine for most of the book. She kept making the choices I could not understand, and even though the entire book is written from her perspective, she spends zero time analyzing her actions or impulses and just continues to drift along. I guess the entire story is a picture of what NOT to do. Many situations in the book are written as though Molly is unable to think rationally or have any sense of propriety. For example, the scene when Patrick drags her behind a tree at a birthday party and they start kissing even though her boyfriend is literally 20 feet away is completely incomprehensible to me. Cheating in itself is bad enough, but such blatant disregard for anyone else's feelings and lack of any sort of decorum is mind-boggling. I did like how the book ended, and this alone bumped the rating up to 2 stars. If you are just looking for a light summer romance book, do not pick this one. It is pretty frustrating to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment