Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Top 5 Wednesday: Books I am Grateful for


With the end of the year is almost upon us, I have started taking stock of what I read throughout 2017. Unfortunately, I have to admit that I read a lot of mediocre stuff this year. However, there were several that made a lasting impression, and those are the books and authors I am particularly grateful for.

Top 5 Wednesday is a Goodreads group, all topics and information can be found here.

1. The Tsar of Love and Techno: Stories by Anthony Marra - I am grateful to this book for reminding me of where I come from and of who I am, and teaching me not to be ashamed of my heritage and personal history, but own it. This book is so complex and multifaceted, it reminded me of unpacking the Russian classics in a literature class. I could talk about and analyze these stories for hours, and I did just that in two separate book club meetings.
29236311

2. Narine Abgaryan - this year was the year I discovered the magic of Narine Abgaryan's books. So far I read three, but I purchased three more and cannot wait to read them. She is the author I will undoubtedly be reading and rereading for years to come. I am grateful for the love and warmth that her books bring into my heart. Reading her books feels like coming home: entering a warm house on a cold winter night where someone is always waiting for you with a hot cup of tea and a good story.

21768750

3. The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis - I am grateful that this book exists. It exposes the rape culture, the "boys will be boys" attitude in our society, and the stark reality of how prevalent sexual harassment and assault are in our world. It reminded me of my middle school and high school: all the lewd jokes, gestures, unwelcome groping and the terror to walk down the block past a group of guys. I have a detailed review of this book and cannot recommend it enough.

25812109

4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - I am grateful that I can always re-read this book or re-watch the BBC mini-series and immediately feel happy. A must read for everyone. Unforgettable characters, beautiful settings and lots of humor. I absolutely love this book and read it almost every year..
18619998

5. The Queen of the Tearling trilogy by Erika Johansen - this is a great fantasy/sci-fi/dystopian trilogy. I was not overly impressed with the first book. However, having read all three, one has to read the entire trilogy to really appreciate it. It was unexpected, unpredictable, a breath of fresh air. I already cannot wait to re-read it.
18712886

No comments:

Post a Comment