Thursday, November 3, 2016

"Faithful" by Alice Hoffman


29430788
During her senior year in high school, Shelby and her best friend Helene get into a car accident. Helene ends up in a coma and Shelby goes through a period of complete emotional breakdown. She is ridden with survivor's guilt and self-loathing. She turns to drugs for escape and is generally set on a path of self-destruction. However, the book overall has a very hopeful message. No matter how bad things are for Shelby, the universe continues to send to her messages of love. Shelby does not recognize them immediately. The only thing she does hold on to are one-liners she receives on anonymous postcards. Only those messages (Say something, Remember something, Want something, etc) give her hope. But as she heals emotionally, she starts recognizing the love that surrounds her: the all-consuming love her mother feels for her, the tender and unrequited love of her boyfriend Ben, the unconditional devotion and adoration of her dogs, the warm regard of her friend Maravelle and her three children. Shelby slowly opens up and starts loving herself and begins to feel warmth toward others. This book made me cry, terrified me, and made me re-think how I view various relationships in my life. Do I show love to those who matter to me the most, or am I so wrapped up in routine, non-essential things, that I forget to say "I love you"?

This book truly surprised me. I enjoyed every second of it and I highly recommend it. 5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment