Wednesday, August 24, 2016

"Glass Sword" by Victoria Aveyard


23174274
Glass Sword is the second book in the Red Queen series.  I read the first book over a year ago and you can read my review of it here. As I mentioned in my last year's post, some readers really love this series whereas others feel it is filled with tropes and lacks originality. Personally, I liked the first book and really wanted to like the second. I think Glass Sword is well-written and well thought out, but I had a lot of problem getting into it. I was not excited about sitting down to read it at the end of the day and it was a real struggle to make any sort of progress with this book. It took me over a week to read a 440-page book that has large line spacing. I think it is because as a reader I am a bit tired of YA fantasy/dystopian genre. Even though these books have different characters and settings, their plots tend to follow the same general pattern: e.g., a lowly-born nobody is suddenly found to be super special. The fate of the world is somehow now in the hands of this character. They feel misunderstood and unappreciated, have to make tough choices and suffer some losses, etc. So I think I was getting bored and that is why getting through this book was difficult. At this point, I am not sure if I will pick up the sequel. This series does feel like a cookie cutter to me and I am not that interested in it anymore. I rated this second installment of the series 3 out of 5 stars. If you have not read a lot of YA dystopian/fantasy, you might just enjoy it. I just feel that I am ready for something more original and profound.

No comments:

Post a Comment