Wednesday, May 25, 2016

"The Crown's Game" by Evelyn Skye


26156203
I had such high expectations for this book: two enchanters dueling to the death, 19th century Russia, the author who supposedly knows Russian history and culture and thus ensures a historically accurate setting - what's not to like?

Unfortunately the best thing about this book is the gorgeous cover. The characters fell completely flat for me. None of them were remotely interesting or exciting. I did not feel attachment to any of them. The plot also felt like a weak re-imagining of The Night Circus. I did like the enchantments - those were probably the strongest parts of the book, and the reason I rated this book at 3 stars and not lower.

The author also failed in the historical accuracy area - I wish she did not claim this from the outset. There were glaring mistakes like repeated (and unnecessary) focus on the pastries ("oreshki") that did not even exist in the 19th century or references to pews when anyone who's ever been to Russia knows that Russian churches do not have pews - standing room only! In addition, Kazakhs in the early 19th century (aside from highly educated nobility) did not speak Russian or owned taverns in St. Peterburg! I also cannot imagine the tzar ever traveling to the steppe - much less forming a liaison with a common Kazakh maiden. I do think the author deserves credit for weaving Kazakhs into the story but please do not claim to be historically accurate!

The plot was mediocre, unoriginal and the ending was just awful. Sounds like there will be a sequel but the way the author described the writing of it in a recent interview does not give me any confidence that she knows where to go with the story line. I should really stop buying new releases.... Very disappointing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment