Thursday, April 21, 2016

"Unhooked" by Lisa Maxwell


21518344
This is going to be a different kind of review. As I got through about two thirds of the novel, I realized how similar this book is in its "feel" to Uprooted by Naomi Novik. Even though Novik's novel is Slavic fantasy and Unhooked is a Peter Pan re-telling, the main heroines have quite a bit in common. They both in the beginning do not know about their powers, both get whisked away from their normal surroundings and both get attracted to a dark and borderline evil character. Their powers are also similar in essence - very earthy and primal, something that is a part of them, not something that can be taught or followed as a formula. In addition, the narrative is somewhat slow-paced in both novels and is meant to be savored rather than devoured in one sitting. So obviously if you enjoyed Uprooted, I think you will like Unhooked.

Now if you have not read Uprooted and need more convincing, please read on. As I already mentioned Unhooked is a retelling of Peter Pan, but much darker than the story we all know. Maxwell's Pan is definitely not a hero and Captain Hook is not quite the villain painted in the original story. I think Unhooked is very imaginative and unique. There are some unexpected turns in the plot that I did not see coming. I also liked the way Hook's backstory is woven into the book. The main character Gwen is very believable. The reader sees everything through her eyes, and goes through the same confusion as she does.

The only unanswered question for me was Pan's origins story. I do realize the book is more focused on Hook, but I wish there was at least a little bit of a backstory on Pan. Overall, a very enjoyable read. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment