Monday, February 15, 2016

"Traveler" by Arwen Elys Dayton (Seeker No. 2)


24690795
Traveler is a sequel to Seeker which I read last year and had mixed feelings about (see here). I definitely liked Traveler a lot better than the first book. The story line was quite gripping and I could not put the book down. New characters are introduced in this book, and old ones go through significant transformations. One case in point is John. In the first book, he really goes off the deep end and becomes quite unstable in his actions and choices. In Traveler he is a completely different person. He continues with his training and finds new focus and purpose. My favorite character Maud had a much more prominent presence in this book also, which I was really happy about. Dayton did a good job writing from several different points of view and even running a parallel story from Catherine's (John's mother's) perspective set 20 years prior.  I sped through the book and could not believe it ended on a such a cliff hanger... I still do not feel particularly attached to the main character Quin. I find Catherine, Maud and even John much more relatable. Shinobu was also a disappointment for me. In the first book, he becomes addicted to drugs. He then kicks the habit and seems to be on the mend. Well, in the second book, he finds another way to fall off the wagon - you'll see when you read the book. I will definitely be picking up the next installment. Cannot wait to see how the trilogy ends. I am rating this book at 4 out of 5 stars. I rated the first book at 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment