Thursday, November 12, 2015

"Stitching Snow" by R.C. Lewis


16067008
Stitching Snow is another book in the sci-fi fairy tale retelling sub-genre. As you can guess from the name and the cover this one is a Snow White retelling. Princess Snow evaded an attempt on her life by her evil stepmother and is now hiding on another planet in the company of seven droids.

I personally love fairy tales and their retellings. I thought the story was very original and fun despite a Hallmark movie-like ending. Princess Snow (or Essie) is a very likable character and I enjoyed rooting for her. Last month I read Lewis' newest book - Spinning Startlight (here is my review) and quite liked it. At that time, lots of reviewers thought that Stitching Snow was much better. I have to disagree. Stitching Snow is Lewis' debut novel and you can definitely tell that by the writing. The story could be more fleshed out and the ending could be less rushed. But other than that, it is an enjoyable book and I gave it 3 out of 5 stars on Goodreads. R.C. Lewis is definitely an author to follow particularly if you like the Lunar Chronicles and other sci-fi retellings.

No comments:

Post a Comment