Tuesday, August 4, 2015

"Everything, Everything" by Nicola Yoon


18692431
I received an advanced reading copy of this book from NetGalley and the book lived up to all of my expectations. Even though the novel will not be released until September 1, 2015, a lot of book reviewers and bloggers have already read it and it's been getting a lot of buzz. It is an impossibly cute and heart-wrenching YA contemporary about a girl (Madeline) who spends all of her life inside her house due to a deadly immune system disease. The air in the house is carefully filtered, all objects from the outside are meticulously decontaminated and the only people she ever sees face to face are her mom and Carla, a nurse who helps take care of her. Madeline is 18 and seems to be reasonably happy. She takes classes online, reads a lot and enjoys spending time with her mother. But then one day a boy moves in next door and Madeline starts dreaming about the Outside more than she ever had before....

I was really surprised by how much I loved this book. It is fairly short, but I am a slow reader and never read books in one day. This one, however, was just impossible to put down. Madeline and Olly are such likable characters, and the book has a very positive overall message. It is also filled with quotes and references to The Little Prince, one of my favorite books ever. So yes, it is truly a gem, and I highly recommend this book. It is up there with The Running Dream for me, another book that makes you want to live your life more fully and appreciate every moment. If you are feeling down or out of sorts, read this book. You will look at your day in a completely new way. This is probably one of the best new releases I've read this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment