Thursday, April 16, 2015

"The Girl at Midnight" by Melissa Grey


20345202
This was another review book which is coming out April 28, 2015 - so very soon. This is the first book in a young adult fantasy series. I definitely see why it is marketed to the fans of "The Mortal Instruments" and "Shadow and Bone" series. There are elements from both of those present in "The Girl at Midnight". However, the plot itself is quite different and original. The story follows a girl (Echo) who ran away from home when she was very little and ended up living in the New York city public library. There, she one night meets a strange lady who takes her in. The lady, however, is not human but of a race called Avicen. Thus Echo discovers a hidden world populated with other races who practice magic, travel instantly through space and live very long lives compared to humans. Echo cannot help but feel different and desperately tries to fit in. She also finds herself caught between two ancient races embroiled in a centuries-long war. The stakes are quite high for her. Will she be able to find a key to ending this old conflict or will she be tried by the Avicen for treason?

In the beginning, I had trouble getting into the book simply because I could not relate to the main character. She seemed annoying and frankly very unrealistic to me. However, as the plot progressed I could not put the book down. I thought the world and the races in this novel were very interesting. The writing is beautiful, and I also really liked the male protagonist in the story. The book is written from several different points of view, but it is done very well. I could immediately understand whose perspective I was reading and the story itself unfolded very well this way. I will definitely be picking up the sequel although I am not particularly fond of love triangles, and this story definitely has one. Overall, a great read and I definitely recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment