Monday, September 15, 2014

Reading Challenges

I have not posted anything for a couple of weeks, so thought it was about time. September has been a slow reading month for me so far mostly because I am taking a very reading-intensive class which does not leave a lot of time for reading for fun. However, I did finish a children's book called The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer. It is the first book in his The Land of Stories series and is a great book for middle graders. It is vaguely reminiscent of The Magic Tree House books in that the two main characters (a brother and a sister) journey into another world. However, Colfer's book is definitely more complex and intended for an older age-group. If you or your children like fairy tales, you will enjoy this book. Without giving too much away, the two main characters literally fall into a book of fairy tales and then spent the rest of the story traveling through the magic world trying to find their way back. My daughter will definitely enjoy this book. Colfer has released two more books in the series so if you get into it, you'll be busy for a while. I am not planning on reading other books in this series simply because I can only stand so much middle grade fiction.

I have started reading Ready Player One by Ernst Cline. I am only 50 pages into it and I love it! I had heard a lot about this book and was really looking forward to reading it. It is an adult sci-fi/dystopian novel and most of the story takes place in a virtual online reality. The book is filled with 1980s trivia and references and is a lot of fun. I will definitely post a full review once I am finished with it.

I do still have quite a bit of books on my to read list on goodreads (you can follow me here), so hopefully once I am done with this class in mid-October, I will be able to get through some of them. I am yet to start on the three classic novels that I was planning to read this year (see my post from July here). Overall, the reading challenge I set for my self for 2014 was 60 books. I am at 41 right now. This is without counting 3 mammoth-size textbooks I read for school. So this has been a pretty good reading year so far despite the usual lack of time and well, life in the real world!

No comments:

Post a Comment