Wednesday, July 9, 2014

"The Maze Runner Trilogy" - Books 1 and 2

I really enjoyed "The Maze Runner" by James Dashner. I heard about this book when I finished reading the Hunger Games trilogy a few years back. However, I did not get interested in reading it until I heard that a Maze Runner movie is coming out soon. We all know that a lot of recent YA film adaptations have not been successful. I sure hope the Maze Runner will do better. The book itself is fast-paced and kept me interested. I finished the book in less than three days and immediately dove into the second. I am now reading book 3, but still do not know the entire story. The post-apocalyptic world is slowly revealed to the reader as the main character gradually regains his memories or gets glimpses of the world from others. I think Dashner is a great writer. I was not distracted by trite word choices or long descriptions. The story moves along smoothly and it is easy to visualize what the author is trying to present. In addition, I think his portrayal of what it would feel like if someone woke up with his/her memory erased is very believable. His characters overall felt authentic and very real. They did not act super human and their reactions and feelings seemed logical to me. In addition, the fact that the first two books have only hints of the main character's possible romantic interests was refreshing and completely different from some other YA novels that tend to overemphasize teenage angst-filled infatuations. There is so much action going on and the main character is so focused on surviving and keeping his friends alive that there is simply no room for a parallel romantic story line. I can't wait to see how book 3 ends and I definitely recommend this book to those who are into dystopian fiction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment