Friday, December 6, 2013

The beauty of having a blog

I started this blog so I can "gush" about books whenever I am particularly excited about a specific author or a title. So I tried to keep my posts limited to only book reviews, but then this morning driving to work I thought: why set parameters? This is my blog, I am doing this because I enjoy it and it is absolutely up to me what I write on here - after all, no one is obligated to read it! So there, this post is not about any particular book, but rather about the love of reading.

Sometimes when I read a particularly engaging book, I feel like I am almost losing myself in the story: I get obsessed with the characters, the story line, the setting and I feverishly read on almost to the point of neglecting my own life... I've seen others do this as well. Thank goodness, each book has an ending... It is a great rush to read a book like that, but then I wonder is this escapism? Am I trying to lose myself in a story to escape my own surroundings? Other people get addicted to video games, TV viewing and other less innocuous activities. I am pretty sure it is possible to be addicted to reading. I know quite a few people who would definitely qualify. I have already reviewed some of the books that have given me such a rush, the Hunger Games trilogy is definitely on the list. You can also add Hopeless, Beautiful Disaster and Mortal Instruments to this category.

However, not all books are the same. As Cornelia Funke aptly states in her book Inkheart,

Some books should be tasted,
some devoured,
but only a few
should be chewed and digested thoroughly

For my part, I like all sort of books, and I do get something out of all of them. Even a silly romance novel has its purpose. Some may think - reading novels is a waste of time, but if a book makes you dream and imagine the things you could do with your life, if it inspires you to try something new, or gives you a different perspective on issues, if it makes you think and analyze your own experiences, it is quite the opposite!

So, if you are wondering how to get away from your everyday worries without spending a fortune on a trip to a faraway land - I say go find a great book to read. There are so many!



No comments:

Post a Comment