Monday, October 28, 2013

Great NDE Reads

My postmodernist upbringing makes me question everything. It is hard for me to accept any absolute truth. Even though I consider myself a religious person and firmly believe in the existence of divine Mind, the skeptic in me still searches for proof of supernatural (or divinely natural if you will) in the physical world. Our materialistic culture with its focus on science, medicine and the uncovering of all secrets, seems to fail when encountering so-called miracles: unexplained healings, intuition, premonitions and near death experiences (NDEs). I always thought: if God is real - and I believe that He/She is - why wouldn't He reveal Herself in today's age in a way that our medicated, scientifically oriented and perpetually skeptical minds can understand?

Well, judging by the number of recent NDE books that are out there, I think that perhaps God never stopped revealing Himself in every age and clime. Two of my absolute favorite recent NDE accounts are Dying to be Me by Anita Moorjani and Proof of Heaven by Dr. Eben Alexander. The authors have almost nothing in common. Ms. Moorjani lives in Hong Kong and is an adherent of Hinduism. Dr. Alexander is a neurosurgeon from the United States who never before his own brush with eternity believed in near death experiences or considered himself religious. Both authors seemed to succumb to incurable diseases: Ms. Moorjani had cancer and Dr. Alexander ended up in a hospital with meningitis. Both experienced life beyond the grave and woke up completely healed. I highly recommend these books. The authors do not promote any kind of religion or try to establish a new one. But the sincerity of their voices is beyond doubt. They have experienced something that is beyond any explanation according to the scientific worldview, and lived to tell about it. If nothing else, these books give us hope that life does not end with physical death, and that life is so much more than our ridiculously short earthly existence. Happy reading!

1 comment:

  1. I do wonder about these sort of things, but rarely read these types of books. However, these comments may actually get me to at least check out the book jacket.

    ReplyDelete